Rosa, Rosa, Rosa

Rosa, Rosa, Rosa

Why you always hanging out with Rosa?

Cause she talked to me. she listened to me. she used to talk to me and talk for hours. and I was frustrated because I wasn't used to talking and I didn't know what to say. she was a talker. I was the listener.

It took me years to be able to talk.  

In younger years, I borrowed my entire personality after Mariela. I remember when I first saw her, she had curly long hair and pins in her hair and a tight red shirt and she looked like the queen bee in the group. she was funny, well read, into politics and things like gymnastics. she was always well informed. she watched the news. she on the pulse of things. and did I mention she was hot?

Yeah, she looked like she ruled the world. I was like, I want to be her friend. and then I did! I got to be her best friend! I got to go to her house everyday and she introduced me to the books. I was already an avid book reader and she was as well but she was frustrated because no one wanted to read the 400 page novels she read which meant she had nobody to talk about them.

We spent mornings walking to school talking about 'nothing gold can stay' that line the poem. She said how when the guy that wrote it awoke, everything was under the golden light of the sun. but it went away, the sun keeps moving. Nothing gold can stay. she further said that it meant that in life the good things are not going to stay. every moment leaves as quick as it started. like the sand that keeps going away from the hand that is trying to hold it (insert another poem, I think it was Edgar Allen Poe). We would talk about their words. We would talk about what they wrote. We wondered what they were thinking when they wrote it. We tried to make sense of the words they left behind. It was a puzzle within the words. To us, they weren't just words. They were meaning there. between the words. and our job was to find it. find the meaning, what did they mean? why did they pick those words? what were they trying to capture? It's just like people trying to decipher a Picasso. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mad at today

Peplum

Hooking Up